Baked Chicken Parmesan is an easy chicken recipe to make. This oven baked chicken parmesan is first pan-fried and then finished off in the oven.
Does it really get much better than chicken parmesan? After making this super-simple at-home baked chicken parmesan recipe, you will feel like an Italian chef!
Our chicken parmesan recipe is an elevated variation of our parmesan-crusted chicken. It’s made with few ingredients and so much flavor.
What is baked chicken parmesan?
Baked chicken parmesan (aka chicken parmigiana) is breaded chicken cutlets that are pan-fried and then baked with marinara sauce and cheese. Chicken parmesan is typically served with pasta.
PS: check out our vegetarian eggplant parmesan recipe!
why make this baked chicken parm?
Not all chicken parmesan recipes are created equal! We may be biased, but this is the easiest and most delicious chicken parm on the internet!
- < 10 Ingredients: no fancy ingredients, just things you already have in your kitchen!
- High-Protein: Per serving, this chicken parm has 48g protein.
- Dinner in less than an hour: there’s nothing better than being able to whip up a filling meal in less than 60 minutes.
Main Ingredients for Baked Chicken Parmesan
Chicken breasts: chicken breasts are the star of the show when it comes to chicken parm. You’ll be slicing your breasts in half, tenderizing, and dredging them in parmesan and bread crumbs.
Italian Bread Crumbs: I love Italian breadcrumbs because they add so much flavor and texture. Feel free to use plain breadcrumbs with the addition of some Italian seasoning.
Parmesan Cheese: the best kind of parmesan cheese for chicken parmesan is grated parmesan. We tested this with shredded and finely shredded and we found that the fineness of grated parmesan works best on the chicken breasts.
Egg: an egg is used as an egg wash before dredging the chicken in the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
Olive Oil: a little olive oil is used to crisp up the chicken cutlets before baking. You can also use butter if that’s your jam.
Marinara Sauce: marinara sauce is nice because it’s easy. It’ adds a whole lot of flavor without a lot of effort.
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese: every chicken parmesan deserves to be topped with even more cheese. We love mozzarella because it’s melty and mild in flavor.
- Chicken breasts: don’t have chicken breasts on hand? Try this recipe with boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead.
- Italian bread crumbs: if you’re hoping to make this oven baked chicken parmesan gluten-free, swap the Italian breadcrumbs for gluten-free.
- Parmesan: we suggest using grated parmesan cheese, but you can also use shredded.
- Marinara: instead of marinara sauce you can try tomato sauce or even pizza sauce.
How to Make Baked Chicken Parmesan (step by step)
- Prepare chicken: First, prepare the chicken breasts by slicing them in half longways to form cutlets. You should go from 3 large breasts to 6 chicken cutlets. Cover your chicken breasts with a piece of plastic wrap (or place them in a gallon-size plastic bag like we did) and use a meat tenderizer to pound chicken until they are the same thickness (~1/2-inch thick).
- Egg wash & dredge: dip each chicken breast cutlet in the egg wash, letting the excess egg drip off. Then, dredge the chicken breast in the breadcrumb + parmesan cheese mixture.
- Pan-fry: heat olive oil in a nonstick pan and pan fry chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Prep for baking: if you are using a large enough, oven-safe frying pan, you can arrange your chicken breasts right in the pan or transfer them into a casserole dish. Top them with a generous amount of marinara sauce followed by a big handful of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake: bake chicken parmesan at 450ºF for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF.
How to dredge chicken
To dredge means to lightly coat in a dry ingredient such as flour, breadcrumbs. The reason you want to dredge in the first place is to help your meat or fish get nice and crispy on the outside.
In this oven baked chicken parmesan recipe we use an egg + dredge combination.
- Dip each chicken cutlet in the egg wash, letting the excess egg drip off.
- Then, place the chicken breast on top of the parmesan coating and then flip it over, making sure both sides are fully coated. Sometimes it’s easier to spoon the coating on top to make less of a mess.
Do I have to pan fry?
We tried to skip pan-frying and bake only and believe us when we say this, don’t skip pan frying! Pan-frying is going to give you that golden-brown crust that chicken parmesan is all about!
Oven Only Directions (no pan frying)
While we 1000% recommend pan-frying so that you can get that nice crust, you can absolutely skp that step if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Place a metal rack on top of a baking sheet and then place the parmesan-crusted cutlets on the metal rack. Make sure they are not touching.
- Spray the tops of the chicken with olive oil cooking spray and bake at 400ºF for 10 minutes. Flip the chicken and spray the other side with cooking spray and then bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Flip them one more time, top them with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese and bake them for 5 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reads 165ºF and the cheese is fully melted.
If you follow these directions, you won’t get crispy, golden chicken parmesan cutlets, but they will still be delicious. We do recommend using a metal rack so don’t skip that part!
What Goes with Chicken Parmesan
We prefer to eat our baked chicken parmesan on top of spaghetti noodles with more marinara sauce. Here are some other serving ideas:
Arugula Salad: This is a simple and delicious arugula salad recipe. It is made with arugula, dried fruit, veggies, and fruit. It is the perfect side dish to any meal!
Ricotta Gnocchi: This Homemade Ricotta Gnocchi is as simple as it is delicious. All you need is 5 simple ingredients for this amazing gnocchi recipe. Enjoy!
Oven-Roasted Asparagus: Oven-roasted asparagus is the best way to eat asparagus! It’s a healthy side dish recipe that’s cooked to perfection.
Vegan Parmesan Cheese: This 5-Ingredient Vegan Parmesan Cheese is a delicious vegan alternative to traditional grated parmesan. Make a batch and sprinkle onto any savory dish your heart desires.
Can I make Chicken Parm in the Air Fryer?
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan is so easy. Instead of baking your chicken breasts, preheat your air fryer to 450ºF and cook them with marinara and cheese for around 5 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted.
Air Fryer Chicken Parm
This air fryer chicken parmesan takes no time to whip up and only requires 5 main ingredients. Bonus – there is no oil involved!
We recommend baking chicken parmesan at 450ºF for 5-7 minutes after the chicken has been pan-fried.
Chicken parmesan and chicken parmigiana are the same exact dish, just 2 different names for it.
Chicken parmesan is high in protein and lower in carbs making this a healthy dinner idea.
Got leftover chicken parm? Let it cool completely and then transfer it into an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
Can You Freeze Chicken Parmesan?
Chicken parmesan is a great meal to freeze for later. We actually recommend only freezing the parmesan crusted chicken and serving it with the marinara and cheese once it’s thawed and reheated.
To freeze the parmesan crusted chicken, let the cutlets cool completely. Then, wrap a few of them together in tin foil and remove as much air as possible. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Baked Chicken Parmesan Recipe
This easy, oven baked chicken parmesan is made with golden-brown parmesan-crusted chicken and is topped with marinara sauce and tons of mozzarella cheese.
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast 3 large breasts
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs plain or whole wheat would work too
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 cup marinara sauce + more for serving
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil or parsley for serving
- Pasta for serving
Preheat the oven to 450ºF and spray a baking sheet or casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Prepare the chicken breast. Slice each breast lengthwise in half to create 6 chicken cutlets. Place the chicken on a cutting board and then cover them with plastic wrap. Using a meat tenderizer, pound the chicken to a ½-inch thickness. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine breadcrumbs, parmesan, garlic powder, and salt. Mix to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk 1 egg.
Dip each chicken cutlet in the egg wash, letting the excess egg drip off. Then, dredge the chicken in the breadcrumb mixture on both sides. Make sure that the chicken is fully coated.
Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a large frying pan over medium/low heat. When the olive oil is fragrant, add 1 to 2 chicken cutlets to the pan (depending on how big your pan is). Let cook for around 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Wipe done your pan in between each chicken breast to remove any brown bits. Continue frying each parmesan-crusted chicken cutlet in 1/2 tablespoon olive oil until all are cooked.
If your frying pan is large enough and oven safe, you can arrange your chicken breasts right in there. Or, transfer chicken breasts into the casserole dish and then top each chicken breast with around 2-3 tablespoons of marinara sauce. Sprinkle on 2 heaping tablespoons of shredded mozzarella.
Bake at 450ºF for around 5-7 minutes or until the mozzarella cheese is melted and the internal temperature of the chicken breast reads 165ºF.
Serve immediately with freshly chopped basil over your favorite pasta or gnocchi.
Tips & Notes
- Want to skip pan-frying? Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Place a metal rack on top of a baking sheet and then place the parmesan-crusted cutlets on the metal rack. Make sure they are not touching. Spray the tops of the chicken with olive oil cooking spray and bake at 400ºF for 10 minutes. Flip the chicken and spray the other side with cooking spray and then bake for an additional 5 minutes. Flip them one more time, top them with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese and bake them for 5 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reads 165ºF and the cheese is fully melted.
- Nutrition information does not include pasta.
Calories: 406kcal Carbohydrates: 12g Protein: 48g Fat: 19g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 0g