Mandapa, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Considered the spiritual and cultural heartland of Bali, Ubud is known for its majestic temples, royal palaces, rolling green hillsides, and rice terraces. Travelers looking for a summer retreat rooted in spirituality and healing need look no further as unforgettable experiences await all who are planning a trip to this verdant hub in the Land of the Gods.
Here are tips from Mandapa, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, a sanctuary set in the heart of the lush jungle in Ubud, on five ways to enjoy a visit filled with spirituality and traditional Balinese wellness this summer:
– Experience Healing Sessions with an Intuitive Blind Healer: Ibu Ketut Mursi is an extraordinarily highly skilled healer with a gifted intuitive awareness and touch offering special healing sessions at Mandapa, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve. She assesses and assists with emotional and physical issues providing individualized recommendations for appropriate herbs to treat various conditions. Honoring ancient traditions, Ketut carries her family’s secret herbal oil blend that has been passed down from her grandfather, a Balinese healer. Accompanied by her assistant Ibu Kis, they work harmoniously to realign and release any blocked energy pattern through bodywork or reflexology.
– Relax through Meditation: Taking part in Trataka, or Candle Gazing Meditation, is a one-of-a-kind relaxing experience travelers won’t want to miss. Combining body movements and tantric meditations, Trataka is a yogic purification that involves staring at a single point such as a candle flame, bringing deep relaxation by inducing stillness in the body and mind.
– Participate in Traditional Blessing Rituals: Guests can join in the traditional Balinese ceremony of Homa Yajna, a Fire Blessing Ritual, to purify unwanted beliefs, habits or thought patterns and transform them into positive energy. The ritual begins with meditation and listening to the ceremony priests as they ring the Balinese Bell and chant Sanskrit mantras to evoke blessings of health and abundance. Following the lighting of the fire, travelers make offerings of grains and lentils to let go of unwanted aspects in their lives while manifesting new intentions.
– Enjoy Daily Yoga Classes: Offered twice daily, Mandapa features an inspiring yoga journey with their well-respected, local yoga swami. Travelers are invited to experience his signature Pranawayu style of yoga – inspired by Hatha, Kundalini, Ashtanga, and Iyengar practices, for a tailored session. Held in the property’s idyllic Yoga Pavilion overlooking the Ayung River, guests can enjoy personal one-on-one, couple’s sessions or small group classes.
– Visit Iconic Temples: Tirta Empul, The Mother of Water Temple, offers a Balinese water purification ritual travelers are invited to take part in. The ritual begins by dressing in a traditional costume while walking into the Tirta Pools and visiting a series of fountains to purify the mind, body and soul. The experience concludes with a traditional prayer for participants to connect to their surroundings.